ACC Baseball enters final month of regular season
ACC Baseball Release: https://bit.ly/3vAH9lL
2022 ACC Baseball Guide: https://bit.ly/3IANmlc
2022 ACC Baseball Championship Tickets
April 21, 2022
• Seven key conference series are scheduled for this weekend as ACC Baseball prepares for the final month of the 2022 regular season. The roster includes No. 11 Louisville hosting No. 23 NC State in a matchup of the current top two teams in the Atlantic Division standings. Louisville leads the all-time series 15-4 and has won six straight against the Wolfpack, all of which came in Raleigh. The Wolfpack is making its first trip to Louisville since 2018, when it won two out of three.
• Twelve ACC teams have been ranked in at least one major poll during the 2022 season. Seven are ranked this week, including three in the top 10 in the Baseball America poll – No. 5 Miami, No. 8 Virginia and No. 9 Florida State. Virginia Tech continues its midseason surge and is ranked No. 8 by D1Baseball after taking two of Miami’s three in last weekend’s key Coast Division series. The five ACC teams ranked in the top 20 in this week’s D1Baseball poll lead all conferences.
• ACC teams are 207-58 (.781) in non-conference play this season, including a 155-24 record at home. Midweek games of note included Clemson’s Tuesday night road win at No. 14 Georgia, which gave the Tigers a regular-season home-and-away series sweep. The ACC picked up another rivalry win in Louisville, where the No. 11 Cardinals held off Kentucky.
• NC State recorded two legs in Wednesday night’s win at High Point. Head coach Elliott Avent recorded his 950th win at the helm of Wolfpack, while Tommy White hit his 14th home run to set a single-season freshman record in the category.
• Florida State left-hander Ryan Messick, freshly named ACC Pitcher of the Week for the third time this season on Monday, was honored by the NCBWA as National Pitcher of the Week on Tuesday. Messick is the third ACC student-athlete to earn an ACC Weekly Honor this season, but the first pitcher to do so. His Florida State teammate, Bryce Hubbart, was named the NCBWA National Pitcher of the Month for February.
• Virginia will retire the number 11 that Ryan Zimmerman wore as a Cavalier ahead of their April 30 game against Virginia Tech. Each fan in attendance will receive an exclusive Ryan Zimmerman jersey t-shirt. The first 500 fans in attendance will receive a special edition UVA Ryan Zimmerman bobblehead. 2005 All-American at UVA, Zimmerman retired from professional baseball in February 2022 as the franchise leader of the Washington Nationals (including his time as the Montreal Expos) in games, bats, runs , hits, doubles, home runs, RBIs, extra-base hits and total bases. The Nationals are also retiring Zimmerman’s No. 11 as part of a two-day celebration June 17-18 at Nationals Park.
• Single-session tickets for the 2022 ACC Baseball Championship, scheduled for May 24-29 at Truist Field in Charlotte, North Carolina, are now on sale. Packages are available by visiting CharlotteKnights.com or calling the Knights box office at 704-274-8282.
The ACC in numbers
3 — Three ACC teams rank in the top five nationally for most tournament appearances all-time: No. 2 Florida State (58), No. 3 Miami (47) and No. ° 5 Clemson (44).
8 – The eight ACC teams in the 2021 NCAA Baseball Championship field were second in all conferences. This is the fifth time since 2010 that the ACC has placed eight or more teams in the NCAA Tournament.
11- All 11 ACC pitchers named to the 2022 NCBWA Stopper of the Year preseason watch list led all conferences.
15 – At least one ACC team has reached the College World Series in Omaha in the last 15 years the event has been held, and multiple ACC teams have reached the CWS 10 times during that span .
15 – Last year marked the 15th time overall the ACC has sent more than one team to the CWS, with all multi-team appearances having been since 1994.
28 – The ACC has placed a total of 28 teams in the past 15 College World Series, an average of just under two per season.
90 – Ninety ACC teams have won offers from the NCAA in the last 12 tournament years.
98 – The ACC’s current 14 teams have a combined 98 College World Series appearances.
58,516 – Total attendance for last year’s ACC Baseball Championship at Truist Field in Charlotte, North Carolina, which ranks fifth in the event’s 47-year history. Two games – NC State against North Carolina on May 28 and Duke against NC State in the title game on May 30 – drew more than 7,100 fans.