ACC teams set to kick off 2022 baseball season
ACC Baseball Release: https://theacc.co/BBacc2022
February 17, 2021
• All 14 ACC baseball teams are scheduled to open their 2022 seasons this weekend. Nine league teams are ranked in at least one major preseason poll, with Notre Dame (up to No. 4 by Baseball America) and NC State (up to No. 7 by Perfect Game) earning a spot in each of the six. The Fighting Irish are coming off their first-ever Atlantic Division championship, while the Wolfpack have joined Virginia to represent the ACC in the 2021 College World Series.
• Florida State was selected as the ACC’s preseason favorite by the league’s 14 head coaches. The coaches voted Georgia Tech the favorite to win the Coastal Division. The Seminoles received eight votes as the likely overall winner from the ACC. Virginia received three votes, followed by Notre Dame with two and NC State with one.
• Florida State was also chosen to finish atop the Atlantic Division with 88 total points, followed by NC State with 76 and Notre Dame with 70. Louisville placed fourth with 64, followed by Clemson (43), Wake Forest (35) and Boston College. (18). The Seminoles received eight votes as division favorites, while Notre Dame had three, Louisville two and NC State one.
• Eight coaches picked Georgia Tech to win the Coastal Division, while Virginia got five first-place votes and Miami one. The Yellow Jackets had 91 points overall, followed by Virginia (77) and Miami (71). Defending ACC champion Duke placed fourth in voting with 60 points, followed by North Carolina (44), Virginia Tech (25) and Pitt (24).
• Florida State’s Parker Messick, who in 2021 became the second player in conference history to be named ACC pitcher and freshman in the same season, was named the the preseason Division I year by Perfect Game.
• Messick was one of eight ACC players named to the preseason watch list for the Golden Spikes Award, which is given annually to the nation’s top amateur baseball player. He is joined by Virginia Tech outfielder Gavin Cross, Clemson first baseman/pticher Caden Grice, NC State starting pitcher Sam Highfill, Miami reliever Carson Palmquist, Georgia Tech catcher Kevin Parada, catcher / Virginia utility Kyle Teel and Wake Forest third baseman / receiver Brock Wilken.
• Fifteen different ACC players have been named to at least one 2022 preseason All-America team.
The ACC in numbers
3 — Three ACC teams rank in the top five nationally for most tournament appearances all-time: No. 2 Florida State (58), No. 3 Miami (47) and No. ° 5 Clemson (44).
8 – The eight ACC teams in the 2021 NCAA Baseball Championship field were second in all conferences. This is the fifth time since 2010 that the ACC has placed eight or more teams in the NCAA Tournament.
11– The 11 ACC pitchers named to the 2022 NCBWA Stopper of the Year preseason watch list led all conferences.
15 – At least one ACC team has reached the College World Series in Omaha in the last 15 years the event has been held, and multiple ACC teams have reached the CWS 10 times during that span .
15 – Last year marked the 15th time overall the ACC has sent more than one team to the CWS, with all multi-team appearances having been since 1994.
28 – The ACC has placed a total of 28 teams in the past 15 College World Series, an average of just under two per season.
90 – Ninety ACC teams have won offers from the NCAA in the last 12 tournament years.
98 – The ACC’s current 14 teams have a combined 98 College World Series appearances.
58,516 – Total attendance for last year’s ACC Baseball Championship at Truist Field in Charlotte, North Carolina, which ranks fifth in the event’s 47-year history. Two games – NC State against North Carolina on May 28 and Duke against NC State in the title game on May 30 – drew more than 7,100 fans.