Noting the ACC and the 2022 Baseball Championship
2022 ACC Baseball Guide: https://bit.ly/3IANmlc
2022 ACC Baseball Championship Tickets
May 23, 2022
The ACC in 2021-22
• Heading into the last ACC championship of the current school year, 12 schools have won ACC or NCAA titles. The six ACC National Championships in Women’s Cross Country (NC State), Women’s Soccer (Florida State), Men’s Soccer (Clemson), Women’s Swimming and Diving (Virginia), Fencing (Notre Dame) and Men’s Tennis (Virginia) are the most any Division I conference.
• CCA student-athletes have won 14 individual national titles this year.
• Thirteen ACC teams have completed their season or are currently ranked #1 or #2 in their respective sports.
• The ACC placed three schools in the top 10 of the LEARFIELD Directors’ Cup rankings released at the end of the winter sports season. No conference had more teams in the top 10. The ACC was also represented by five schools in the top 25, eight in the top 40, and 12 in the top 75.
The ACC Baseball Championship
• The 48th Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship will take place Tuesday, May 24 through Sunday, May 29 at Truist Field in Charlotte, North Carolina. The tournament returns to the Queen City for the second consecutive year. Truist Field’s debut last year drew 58,516 fans – the fifth-highest total attendance in the event’s 47-year history. Two games – NC State against North Carolina on May 28 and Duke against NC State in the title game on May 30 – drew more than 7,100 fans.
• The ACC Baseball Championship was held in the Charlotte area twice at the turn of the century, when Fort Mill, SC hosted the tournament in 2000 and 2001. In total, the championship was held in six Different states and 14 different locations since its inception in 1973.
• The crowd of 11,392 who watched North Carolina’s 2-1, 18-inning victory over NC State on Day 4 of the 2013 ACC Championship in Durham, North Carolina is the largest to ever watch a college baseball game in the state of North Carolina (The previous record of 10,229 was set in 2012 in Greensboro, North Carolina when that number saw UNC win 2-1, 12 innings against NC State).
• The 9,759 people who watched Florida State defeat NC State in the 2015 ACC Championship Game at Durham is the largest Finals crowd in tournament history.
• Clemson’s 10 ACC baseball championship titles are the most of any school in the tournament format’s 47-year history. Georgia Tech is next with nine titles, followed by Florida State (8) and North Carolina (7).
• Clemson has also topped the conference standings five times in non-tournament years for 15 total ACC baseball championships. North Carolina is second all-time behind the Tigers with 11.
ACC Baseball in 2022
• Virginia Tech – unranked in February and tagged for a sixth-place finish in the Coastal Division in the ACC Coaches’ Preseason Poll – enters the 2022 ACC Baseball Championship as the No. ° 2 consensual. Louisville and Miami are also ranked in the top 10 in the nation by every major publication, and Notre Dame and Virginia are also in the top 25 in every poll.
• Twelve of the ACC’s 14 baseball teams have been ranked among the top 25 in the nation by at least one publication at some point during the 2022 regular season.
• Clemson ACC Player of the Year Max Wagner and Georgia Tech catcher Kevin Parada are tied for second nationally in home runs with 26 ACC Baseball Championship appearances. NC State’s Tommy White (23) and Wake Forest’s Brendan Tinsman (22) are also among the national leaders.
• White broke the previous ACC home run record of 22 set by Florida State’s Matt Diaz in 1998. White is now two homers off NC State’s single-season record and three off NC State’s freshman record. NCAA.
• ACC Pitcher of the Year Rhett Lowder of Wake Forest has pitched six or more innings in 10 of his 14 starts this season while allowing no more than three earned runs in any one appearance.
• Wagner, Lowder and White were joined by ACC Coach of the Year John Szefc of Virginia Tech and ACC Defensive Player of the Year Levi Usher of Louisville as winners of the 2022 season .
• Two pitchers from Florida State were named National Pitcher of the Month by the NCBWA, with Bryce Hubbart getting the go-ahead in February and Parker Messick honoring the week of April. NC State’s White was named Hitter of the Month for February.
• NC State’s White (February 21), Virginia’s Jake Gelof (March 1) and Clemson’s Wagner (April 27) were recognized as NCBWA Hitters of the Week in the 2022 season. Florida State’s Messick was named the NCBWA week on April 19.
• Collegiate Baseball has recognized ACC student-athletes among its National Players of the Week more than 30 times this season.
• Georgia Tech’s Parada, Clemson’s Wagner and NC State’s White are among 39 semi-finalists for the Dick Howser Trophy, which is awarded annually to the nation’s top college player. The other ACC semifinalists are Virginia third baseman Jake Gelof, Virginia Tech outfielder Jack Hurley and shortstop Tanner Schobel, Florida State starting pitcher Parker Messick and reliever of Miami Andrew Walters. The award will be presented in Omaha on June 17 during the 2022 College World Series.
• Georgia Tech’s Parada, Wake Forest’s Tinsman and Virginia Tech’s Cade Hunter are among 16 semi-finalists for the Buster Posey Award, which is given to the nation’s top receiver.
• While this week’s championship is on the immediate horizon, the next NCAA Tournament is also on the radar of most ACC teams. Eleven conference teams have won at least 32 games and each was in the NCAA RPI’s top 40 on Sunday.
ACC Baseball in the NCAAs
• Three ACC teams rank in the top five nationally for most tournament appearances all-time: No. 2 Florida State (58), No. 3 Miami (47) and No. 5 Clemson (44).
• The eight ACC teams in the field for the 2021 NCAA Baseball Championship were second in all conferences. This is the fifth time since 2010 that the ACC has placed eight or more teams in the NCAA Tournament.
• At least one ACC team has reached the College World Series in Omaha each of the last 15 years the event has been held, and several ACC teams have reached the CWS 10 times during that time.
• Last year was the 15th time the ACC sent more than one team to the CWS, with all multi-team appearances having been since 1994.
• The ACC has placed a total of 28 teams in the last 15 University World Series, an average of just under two per season.
• Ninety ACC teams have won NCAA bids in the past 12 tournament years.
• The ACC’s current 14 teams have a combined 98 College World Series appearances.
ACC Baseball Championship Initiatives
• Mental Health Teammates – Along with the ACC/Big Ten/Pac-12 Alliance’s commitment to mental health, awareness will be raised through in-game public announcements, coach pins, and field-level signage .
• dream about 3 – The ACC continues its partnership with this organization, which provides VIP experiences with a favorite athlete, sports team or sporting event for people living with life-changing medical conditions. This year’s ACC Championship winner Henry is expected to throw out the first pitch before Friday’s 7 p.m. game between Virginia Tech and North Carolina.
• Sunday military appreciation – Pre-game ceremonies include a military color party and the first pitch by an armed forces veteran.
• ACC CORE Commitment to Unity – Round 7 will again feature the singing of the anthem “Lift Every Voice and Sing”.