This Week in ACC Baseball – April 12
ACC Baseball Release: https://bit.ly/3vAH9lL
2022 ACC Baseball Guide: https://bit.ly/3IANmlc
2022 ACC Baseball Championship Tickets
April 12, 2022
• Miami and Louisville remain at the top of the ACC Division standings after the weekend’s action. The Hurricanes continued to be one of the hottest teams in the country, sweeping three games since visiting Virginia to lead their winning streak to 13 games and take a four-game lead over the Cavaliers in the Coastal Division. Louisville rebounded from a series-opening loss to North Carolina to win the next two games, including a 14th-inning win over the visiting Tar Heels on Sunday. The Cardinals hold a one-game Atlantic Division lead over Notre Dame, which swept three games of its visit to Clemson.
• Two major polls feature four ACC teams in the top 10 this week. D1Baseball is one of four publications to rank Miami No. 2 nationally, and the Hurricanes are followed by No. 6 Virginia, No. 9 Louisville and No. 10 Notre Dame. Collegiate Baseball also ranked Miami second in the nation, followed by No. 3 Louisville, No. 5 Virginia and No. 7 Notre Dame.
• Virginia Tech and Wake Forest continued to grab attention on the national radar after the Hokies took two of NC State’s three, while the Demon Deacons swept their three-game visiting series at Duke. Virginia Tech is ranked 17th this week (per Perfect Game) and is ranked in three other national polls. Wake Forest is ranked 23rd by Baseball America and Collegiate Baseball.
• Twelve ACC teams have been ranked in at least one major poll during the 2022 season.
• With Easter weekend pending, four ACC series are scheduled to begin this Thursday with Notre Dame at Duke, Boston College at NC State, Louisville at Florida State and Miami at Virginia Tech. But each of the conference’s 14 teams has one non-league game on Tuesday’s schedule first, including 11 games at ACC venues. ACC teams are 183-50 (.785) in non-conference play this season, including a 138-19 record at home.
• Sunday’s 16-11 victory over Duke marked head coach Tom Walter’s 350th victory at the helm of the Wake Forest baseball program.
• Notre Dame left-hander John Michael Bertrand earned back-to-back ACC Pitcher of the Week honors while becoming the first starter in the program since 2017 to post a 5-0 record. Bertrand has gone 16 straight innings without giving up an earned run.
• Single-session tickets for the 2022 ACC Baseball Championship, scheduled for May 24-29 at Truist Field in Charlotte, North Carolina, are now on sale. Packages are available by visiting CharlotteKnights.com or calling the Knights box office at 704-274-8282.
The ACC in numbers
3 — Three ACC teams rank in the top five nationally for most tournament appearances all-time: No. 2 Florida State (58), No. 3 Miami (47) and No. ° 5 Clemson (44).
8 – The eight ACC teams in the 2021 NCAA Baseball Championship field were second in all conferences. This is the fifth time since 2010 that the ACC has placed eight or more teams in the NCAA Tournament.
11- All 11 ACC pitchers named to the 2022 NCBWA Stopper of the Year preseason watch list led all conferences.
15 – At least one ACC team has reached the College World Series in Omaha in the last 15 years the event has been held, and multiple ACC teams have reached the CWS 10 times during that span .
15 – Last year marked the 15th time overall the ACC has sent more than one team to the CWS, with all multi-team appearances having been since 1994.
28 – The ACC has placed a total of 28 teams in the past 15 College World Series, an average of just under two per season.
90 – Ninety ACC teams have won offers from the NCAA in the last 12 tournament years.
98 – The ACC’s current 14 teams have a combined 98 College World Series appearances.
58,516 – Total attendance for last year’s ACC Baseball Championship at Truist Field in Charlotte, North Carolina, which ranks fifth in the event’s 47-year history. Two games – NC State against North Carolina on May 28 and Duke against NC State in the title game on May 30 – drew more than 7,100 fans.