This Week in ACC Baseball – April 19
ACC Baseball Release: https://bit.ly/3vAH9lL
2022 ACC Baseball Guide: https://bit.ly/3IANmlc
2022 ACC Baseball Championship Tickets
April 19, 2022
• ACC teams have a total of 17 non-league games scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday. Tuesday’s slate includes a pair of ACC-SEC rivalry matchups as Louisville hosts Kentucky, while Clemson travels to Georgia. Clemson is aiming for a two-game sweep after taking down the currently No. 14 Bulldogs at home last month.
• Louisville and Kentucky have met in all but two seasons since 1985. The teams did not meet in 2020 due to the season being canceled due to COVID-19 and both matchups were over in 2002.
• Another rivalry is set to renew in Pittsburgh on Wednesday, as the Panthers take on West Virginia at PNC Park. The game was originally scheduled for Tuesday evening but was rescheduled due to pending bad weather. The teams are scheduled to meet again on Tuesday, May 10 in Morgantown, West Virginia.
• ACC teams are 193-54 (.781) in non-conference play this season, including a 144-23 record at home.
• Twelve ACC teams have been ranked in at least one major poll during the 2022 season. Seven are ranked this week, including three in the top 10 in the Baseball America poll – No. 5 Miami, No. 8 Virginia and No. 9 Florida State. Virginia Tech continues its midseason surge and is ranked No. 8 by D1Baseball after taking two of Miami’s three in last weekend’s key Coast Division series. The five ACC teams ranked in the top 20 in this week’s D1 poll lead all conferences.
• Striking numbers abounded in Virginia Tech’s decisive win over Miami last Friday night at Blacksburg. The Hokies presented head coach John Szefc with his 500th career win, during his 17-year tenure as head coach at Marist, Maryland and Virginia Tech. The overflowing crowd available for the game set English Field’s regular season attendance record with 3,521 fans, ranking third all-time behind Virginia Tech’s 2013 NCAA Blacksburg regional game against Connecticut (3,566 ) and his 2008 exhibition game against the New York Yankees. (5,311).
• Szefc became the eighth current ACC head coach to reach 500 wins. Georgia Tech’s Danny Hall (1,337) and NC State’s Elliott Avent (1,173) lead the field.
• Single-session tickets for the 2022 ACC Baseball Championship, scheduled for May 24-29 at Truist Field in Charlotte, North Carolina, are now on sale. Packages are available by visiting CharlotteKnights.com or calling the Knights box office at 704-274-8282.
The ACC in numbers
3 — Three ACC teams rank in the top five nationally for most tournament appearances all-time: No. 2 Florida State (58), No. 3 Miami (47) and No. ° 5 Clemson (44).
8 – The eight ACC teams in the 2021 NCAA Baseball Championship field were second in all conferences. This is the fifth time since 2010 that the ACC has placed eight or more teams in the NCAA Tournament.
11- All 11 ACC pitchers named to the 2022 NCBWA Stopper of the Year preseason watch list led all conferences.
15 – At least one ACC team has reached the College World Series in Omaha in the last 15 years the event has been held, and multiple ACC teams have reached the CWS 10 times during that span .
15 – Last year marked the 15th time overall the ACC has sent more than one team to the CWS, with all multi-team appearances having been since 1994.
28 – The ACC has placed a total of 28 teams in the past 15 College World Series, an average of just under two per season.
90 – Ninety ACC teams have won offers from the NCAA in the last 12 tournament years.
98 – The ACC’s current 14 teams have a combined 98 College World Series appearances.
58,516 – Total attendance for last year’s ACC Baseball Championship at Truist Field in Charlotte, North Carolina, which ranks fifth in the event’s 47-year history. Two games – NC State against North Carolina on May 28 and Duke against NC State in the title game on May 30 – drew more than 7,100 fans.