This Week in ACC Baseball – April 27
ACC Baseball Release: https://bit.ly/3vAH9lL
2022 ACC Baseball Guide: https://bit.ly/3IANmlc
2022 ACC Baseball Championship Tickets
April 27, 2022
• Clemson sophomore Max Wagner was named NCBWA Co-Hitter of the Week on Wednesday. The Green Bay, Wis., native became the third ACC student-athlete to earn the honor this season, joining NC State’s Tommy White (February 21) and Virginia’s Jake Gelof (March 1). Florida State sophomore Parker Messick was named NCBWA Pitcher of the Week on April 19.
• Wagner, also named ACC Player of the Week, joined NC State’s White in receiving weekly national college baseball honors after each put on a show of power last weekend. The pair combined for four multi-home runs, 11 total homers, 18 RBIs and 15 runs scored while continuing to rank among the leaders in the nation’s offensive category.
• White hit his 19th home run of the season in NC State’s Tuesday night win over East Carolina. The Florida native moved within three homers of the ACC freshman record of 22 set by Florida State’s Matt Diaz (1998) and within seven of the NCAA freshman record of 26 set by Georgia Southern’s Todd Greene in 1990. White is currently second in the 2022 ACC home run behind Georgia Tech’s Kevin Parada, who hit his 20th and 21st Tuesday nights against Troy and moved into a tie for the lead national.
• White’s 19 home runs are the most by an ACC freshman since college baseball’s 2011 switch to BBCOR (Battered Ball Resolution Coefficient) bats which led to an overall drop in numbers power compared to those of the previous three decades. White’s 19th homer surpassed the previous BBCOR freshman record of 18 shared by Clemson’s Seth Beer (2016) and North Carolina’s Aaron Sabato (2019). Spencer Torkelson’s 25 home runs from Arizona State in 2018 are BBCOR’s freshman mark.
• Miami holds a three-game lead in the ACC’s Coastal Division, while Louisville and Notre Dame tie the Atlantic Division lead after last weekend’s full slate of conference action. The final month of the regular season will determine the 12-team field for the ACC Baseball Championship, which runs May 24-29 at Truist Field in Charlotte, North Carolina. Conference division winners will receive the top two seeds.
• Twelve ACC teams have been ranked in at least one major poll during the 2022 season. Miami leads this week’s contingent with a top-four finish in every major poll, including a No. 2 ranking by Collegiate Baseball. Miami (31-10) and Virginia (31-10) are the first two ACC teams of the 2022 season to reach the 30-win plateau.
The ACC in numbers
3 — Three ACC teams rank in the top five nationally for most tournament appearances all-time: No. 2 Florida State (58), No. 3 Miami (47) and No. ° 5 Clemson (44).
8 – The eight ACC teams in the 2021 NCAA Baseball Championship field were second in all conferences. This is the fifth time since 2010 that the ACC has placed eight or more teams in the NCAA Tournament.
11- All 11 ACC pitchers named to the 2022 NCBWA Stopper of the Year preseason watch list led all conferences.
15 – At least one ACC team has reached the College World Series in Omaha in the last 15 years the event has been held, and multiple ACC teams have reached the CWS 10 times during that span .
15 – Last year marked the 15th time overall the ACC has sent more than one team to the CWS, with all multi-team appearances having been since 1994.
28 – The ACC has placed a total of 28 teams in the past 15 College World Series, an average of just under two per season.
90 – Ninety ACC teams have won offers from the NCAA in the last 12 tournament years.
98 – The ACC’s current 14 teams have a combined 98 College World Series appearances.
58,516 – Total attendance for last year’s ACC Baseball Championship at Truist Field in Charlotte, North Carolina, which ranks fifth in the event’s 47-year history. Two games – NC State against North Carolina on May 28 and Duke against NC State in the title game on May 30 – drew more than 7,100 fans.