This Week in ACC Baseball – April 7
ACC Baseball Release: https://bit.ly/3vAH9lL
2022 ACC Baseball Guide: https://bit.ly/3IANmlc
2022 ACC Baseball Championship Tickets
April 7, 2022
• Seven key ACC series are on the schedule this weekend, including a Coastal Division top-10 battle between Virginia and Miami in Coral Gables.
• With a 26-3 record following Wednesday’s victory over opponent Liberty, Virginia is a consensus top-three team in this week’s national polls and is ranked No. 2 by Baseball America, Collegiate Baseball and Perfect Game . Miami moved to the top of the Coastal Division standings with its road series sweep of Duke last weekend and holds a one-game lead over Virginia, which took two of Georgia Tech’s three.
• With 10 straight wins and back-to-back Coastal Division Series sweeps, Miami also continued to rise rapidly in the national polls. The Hurricanes are ranked in the top 10 in the nation by four publications, and the 10-game winning streak is the longest on the team under fourth-year head coach Gino DiMare.
• With a combined 11-1 midweek record, ACC teams are now 183-50 (.785) in non-conference play this season, including a 138-19 record at home. Highlights this week included Clemson’s 4-3 win over visiting No. 10 Georgia on Tuesday night. The teams are due to meet in Athens on April 19.
• With Virginia Tech ranked No. 23 by Perfect Game this week following its series win at North Carolina, 12 of the conference’s 14 teams have been ranked in at least one major poll during the 2022 season.
• Notre Dame’s three straight wins at No. 5 in Florida marked the first sweep by a Fighting Irish Top 10 team since 2015. It was also Notre Dame’s first-ever sweep at Tallahassee in the history of the program.
• Florida State has seen four starting pitchers record at least 13 strikeouts in a single game this season. No other ACC pitcher has retired more than 12 batters in a single outing. FSU sophomore Parker Messick enters the weekend leading the nation with 76 strikeouts so far this spring.
• With Virginia Tech ranked No. 23 by Perfect Game this week, 12 of the conference’s 14 teams have been ranked in at least one major poll during the 2022 season.
• Single-session tickets for the 2022 ACC Baseball Championship, scheduled for May 24-29 at Truist Field in Charlotte, North Carolina, are now on sale. Packages are available by visiting CharlotteKnights.com or calling the Knights box office at 704-274-8282.
The ACC in numbers
3 — Three ACC teams rank in the top five nationally for most tournament appearances all-time: No. 2 Florida State (58), No. 3 Miami (47) and No. ° 5 Clemson (44).
8 – The eight ACC teams in the 2021 NCAA Baseball Championship field were second in all conferences. This is the fifth time since 2010 that the ACC has placed eight or more teams in the NCAA Tournament.
11- The 11 ACC pitchers named to the 2022 NCBWA Stopper of the Year Preseason Watch List led all conferences.
15 – At least one ACC team has reached the College World Series in Omaha in the last 15 years the event has been held, and multiple ACC teams have reached the CWS 10 times during that span .
15 – Last year marked the 15th time overall the ACC has sent more than one team to the CWS, with all multi-team appearances having been since 1994.
28 – The ACC has placed a total of 28 teams in the past 15 College World Series, an average of just under two per season.
90 – Ninety ACC teams have won offers from the NCAA in the past 12 tournament years.
98 – The ACC’s current 14 teams have a combined 98 College World Series appearances.
58,516 – Total attendance for last year’s ACC Baseball Championship at Truist Field in Charlotte, North Carolina, which ranks fifth in the event’s 47-year history. Two games – NC State against North Carolina on May 28 and Duke against NC State in the title game on May 30 – drew more than 7,100 fans.