This Week in ACC Cross Country – September 29
ACC cross-country version:
National competition results:
• Nine ACC teams – five men and four women – continue to be ranked in the top 30 in this week’s respective USTFCCCA coaches’ polls. The NC State women once again tie the No. 1 spot with defending NCAA champion BYU, while Notre Dame is still No. 2 on the men’s side.
• Wake Forest is 17th in the men’s rankings, followed by North Carolina at 23rd, Syracuse at 27th and Florida State at 29th. Syracuse returned to the top 30 for the first time since week seven of the spring season.
• 12th North Carolina is the second-highest ranked ACC women’s team behind NC State, followed by 18th Florida State and 19th Notre Dame.
• Seven ACC programs are scheduled to participate in this weekend’s Joe Piane Invitational hosted by Notre Dame. The races will preview the courses for the ACC Championships, which are to be held in South Bend on Friday, October 29.
• Syracuse senior Joe Dragon earned his second ACC Male Performer of the Week of the season after leading the Orange to a second-place team finish behind sixth-ranked Arkansas in the Coast-to-Coast Battle at Beantown, fought in Boston. Dragon finished third overall with his 8k time of 24:08, less than a second behind gold medalist Amon Kemboi of Arkansas. Dragon led five riders from Syracuse who placed in the top 22.
• In her first race as a Tar Heel, true North Carolina rookie Brynn Brown led the field of 195 riders to win the women’s Battle in Beantown race. The Denton, Texas native’s winning time of 16:53 over the 5k course led UNC to a team win in the 23-school field with 63 points. Brown’s time was eight seconds faster than second-placed Syracuse’s Amanda Vestri. Brown was named both ACC Female Performer and Rookie of the Week on September 28.
SCHEDULE TO COME
Friday, October 1
Clemson, Florida State, North Carolina State, Pitt, Virginia, Virginia Tech at Notre Dame Joe Piane Invitational
Miami, NC to Paul Short Run (Bethlehem, PA)
Wake Forest at the Coastal Carolina Chanticleer Challenge
Saturday October 2
Great American Cross Country Festival at NC State (Cary, NC)
Live at Lou Classic in Louisville
Georgia Tech at Alexander/Asics Invitational (Fairburn, Georgia)